Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty: How to avoid being picked as a Juror.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Jury Duty: How to avoid being picked as a Juror.

I HATE jury duty. Sure, I believe in our justice system in terms of it being one of the bery best overall possible systems when video cameras cannot be at every crime. But still, I HATE jury duty. None the less, I seem to be called upon as if they think I must LOVE it!

As a veteran of avoiding being picked as a juror from a panel, I have a simple tip to offer:

Speak up! And forget momentarily about your own belief about how impartial and how well you can uphold the law as dictated to you by the judge. Listen carefully to the flow of the Judge's and attorney's discussion and questions to the jury panel. Listen for the obvious reasons why an attorney would choose to strike you as a choice to be a juror. Then.... Lie! So what if you feel embarassed, you will probably never see any of these people again.

Find something that you do not feel too bad about saying as to why you could not uphold the Judge's laws such as, "Yes, I would tend to believe a Police Officer's testimony just because he/she is a Police Officer." You personally may very well be able to give all witnesses the same benefit of the doubt and judge their testimony based on your gut and their presentation... but... do you really want to spend the next several days or more as a juror?????

And sure... you may very well be the type who would love to be a juror and experience and assist the process of our legal system. This is for those who just don't want to or can't spare the time. :smt047

Anyway... hehe... Does anyone else have any "here's how not to be picked as a juror from a panel" tips?

Ummmm... yes, I had jury duty today... AGAIN! And did I get picked to be a juror? Nope. :smt046

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

have fun! :smt003 :smt005 :smt003 :smt005 :smt006 :smt040 :smt041 :smt042 :smt046 :smt047 :smt021

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I have it easy. the first time I got called, I got dismissed immediately based on answering the questions "Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been sued" and "Have you or anyone in your family ever sued anybody" Both are the case for me. That was an immediate ticket home (or back to work rather)

The second time it was a little more complicated. I had to sit through all the questions, and everybody elses interview before the lawyers left and came back 5 minutes later and finally told most of us we could go. But I still got off for the same reason.

I guess if it was a criminal case I'll need a new reason

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by morda808"
    I have it easy. the first time I got called, I got dismissed immediately based on answering the questions "Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been sued" and "Have you or anyone in your family ever sued anybody" Both are the case for me. That was an immediate ticket home (or back to work rather)

The second time it was a little more complicated. I had to sit through all the questions, and everybody elses interview before the lawyers left and came back 5 minutes later and finally told most of us we could go. But I still got off for the same reason.

I guess if it was a criminal case I'll need a new reason
    "Have you anyone in your immediate family ever been murdered?" and "Have you or anyone in your family ever murdered anybody?"

Just answer: "Yes, I was killed while murdering my uncle." That ought to get you out of there really quickly. :smt045

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I find that showing up to court in this helps a great deal.

Only answering to the name "TK421" just adds icing to the cake.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Dean O"
    I find that showing up to court in this helps a great deal.

:smt046 :smt005

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HeartbreakRidge PSN ID: CoogansBluff Steam ID: HeartbreakRidge

Don't count on it though. Remember that Whitewater grand juror who showed up, every day, in full Star Trek uniform and gear? SHE WAS A JUROR. Go see Trekkies if you don't remember what I'm talking about.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Bringing hand puppets, calling them your 'friends', letting them help out by answering questions...and then have a heated debate between you and your 'friends'...will keep out of jury duty.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I agree it is so inconvenient, but what happens if you are charged with something? Would you want fair and impartial jury, or just the people who were not "smart enough" to get out of it???

Just playing a bit of devil's advocate. I have only been called twice in my life to go. The first time I was in the military and in Okinawa, JA, so I was unable to come back to Mississippi to server.

The second time was last year in North Carolina. They have a 1 time every two years rule. You can only be selected a maximum of 1 time in a two year period. You have to show up and stay till the last jury of the day was seated. I got called to go for potential jury selection, but they seated the jury within the first 17 people. I was number 19 called. Therefore, I stayed in Juror's lounge and watched movies the majority of the day. However, I was willing to do my civic duty. The system is only good if people do the right thing.

Not trying to be a jerk, I do like comedy. there was a Candy Bar commercial awhile back where lawyers were looking down at the paperwork and were questioning potential jurors and they asked if the guy could be fair and impartial, and he answered most definitely and then they looked up and he was wearing an Executioner's outfit and testing his axe for sharpness.

oh and this is a great joke:

A man was chosen for jury duty who very much wanted to be dismissed from serving. He was trying every excuse in the world trying to get out of it but none of them worked.

On the day of the trial he decided to give it one more shot. As the trial was about to begin he asked if he could approach the bench.

"Your Honor," he said, " I must be excused from this trial because I am prejudiced against the defendant. I took one look at the man in the Grey suit with those beady eyes and that dishonest face and I said, "He's a crook! He's guilty, guilty, guilty." So your Honor, I could not possibly stay on this jury!"

With a tired annoyance the judge replied, "Get back in the jury box. That man is his lawyer."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ItchyRobot

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMelon"
    Bringing hand puppets, calling them your 'friends'
    Man, you just made me blow grape juice through my nose!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast