Thread: Communication Backdoor Access To The FBI???

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Psykobatosai Steam ID: psykobatosai Raptr ID: Psykobatosai

Question Communication Backdoor Access To The FBI???

Wired has an interesting article that caught my eye today. The topic of interest is the FBI lobbying for things such as Skype and Xbox Live to be wire-tap friendly. Part of me is opposed to this but another part is indifferent since wiretapping has been going on for a good long while. Still, if the law doesn't cover internet means of communications then it may be an uphill battle for the FBI in order to get this passed. There may not be enough proof that any planning of the malicious kind occurred over Xbox live or even Skype but to have these backdoors forced on everyone's computers, phones, and entertainment equipment seems a bit much to me.

Thoughts?

teabagging brad and boo bafroom's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bafroom PSN ID: bafroom Wii Code: 007-420-24-7
    fuck no.
    mmmmm..... home brewed beer!

MacGyver's mentor... BORIStheBLADE1's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: B0RIS_da_BLADE1 Steam ID: 76561198046470521 Raptr ID: boristheblade1
    Well part of me doesn't care because I am not into anything that could get me into trouble.. Sort of.. but part of me is opposed to this also.

In the end I think for a matter of National security our government should be allowed to monitor anyone they feel is " a national security threat" without having to deal with red tape.. Now the key words are National security threat. Now that doesn't mean they can expoit that hand and use it all the time.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Psykobatosai Steam ID: psykobatosai Raptr ID: Psykobatosai
    I get what you're saying but what I want to know is how into gaming and what not are terrorists that a backdoor to xbox live communications is needed??

Professional threadkiller Ranificent1's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ranificent1
    Quote Originally Posted by bafroom View Post
    fuck no.
    A 1000 times over...."He who gives up his freedom for security is worthy of neither"

"Just start the damn draft already"-ppw
    "sometimes I just unhinge my jaw.......wait......what?"-VDub
    Ranificent1 youtube

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz View Post
    I get what you're saying but what I want to know is how into gaming and what not are terrorists that a backdoor to xbox live communications is needed??

I see what you're saying...
    The FBI has previously complained to Congress about the so-called “Going Dark” problem – the difficulty of doing effective wiretap surveillance as more communications have moved from traditional telephone services to internet service companies.
    Under the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, or CALEA, passed in 1994, telecommunications providers are required to make their systems wiretap-friendly. The Federal Communications Commission extended CALEA in 2004 to apply to broadband providers like ISPs and colleges, but web companies are not covered by the law.
    Looking at this law that they are bringing up, the bad guy has a way out by using Skype since they are in a safe zone being a web company not covered by law to release info to help them. I see their point...

Lets just say that FBI knew some terrorist were communicating on Skype and had no way of listening into see what they were planning. Because of this law they are left with no way of doing their job. So then a bomb goes off killing a ton of people and they say yeah we knew they were communicating, but the current laws don't allow us to listen in on Skype. I think most people that lived in that country would be pretty pissed..

The bad guy has got smart now with dick nose lawyers on their side have found ways around getting caught at things. Fuck them...

teabagging brad and boo bafroom's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bafroom PSN ID: bafroom Wii Code: 007-420-24-7
    if they take our freedom in the name of security, what exactly are they securing?
    mmmmm..... home brewed beer!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bafroom View Post
    if they take our freedom in the name of security, what exactly are they securing?
    I agree, but I'm just saying.. I hate big brother trying to take over but I wonder how something like this would really affect me if at all..

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tcs007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranificent1 View Post
    A 1000 times over...."He who gives up his freedom for security is worthy of neither"
    Damn right.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: cokebear Raptr ID: cokebear2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranificent1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX22BSTi View Post
    Damn right.
    +1 googol