PDA

View Full Version : GOW 2 - Suggestions to Improve the Game

ebbz
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
It is my opinion that Gears of War 2 is the best video game ever made. I am a recent (within the last 5 years) online gamer, however, there has never been another game that has grabbed my attention like this francise. However, here are some suggestions to take this already awesome game to the next level:

<LI>Increase frequency of DLC - with 20+ maps (most awesome) the ease of delivery and captive audience should prompt EPIC to release quarterly DLC (and I'm talking maps, not gamer pix and avatar armor).
</LI>
<LI>Punish Glitchers - this is the most annoying aspect of pub matches. Fix it guys or punch the A-HOLES who continue to abuse the system.
</LI>
<LI>This is a pipe dream, but allowing players to customize map types like Halo would be 'UNREAL' (no pun intended).
</LI>
<LI>Introduce new chapters (like they have done) but allow new characters to be unlocked (and play-able in online play) when completing the new chapters (encouraging people to buy the new maps).
</LI>
<LI>Create more appropriate filters: AGE has done a nice job of connecting mature gamers, but allowing a higher degree of filters so that $#!T game types (i.e. King of the Hill) can be removed from the set list as well as filtering out the cheap F#CK$ who don't buy new content (rumored) would be ideal.
</LI>
<LI>Fix (or get rid of) smoke grenades. These are highly annoying in game types such as Annex. If they worked as they did in Gears 1 - perfect.
</LI>
<LI>Finally (and I have been saying this since GOW1) - add custom skins as DLC for this game. Imagine being able to download a GI Joe pack that would make COG the Joes and Locust Cobra. Can you imagine rolling around a map as Destro, Duke, Zartan, etc.? PS - a female character would be great also guys!</LI>

Thanks for reading, that's my 2 cents - love to hear yours.

HostilePrime
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
take out that slow down when being shot, increase the speed for the crawl away and have an open beta for the next Gears cause the lag and hit detection in Gears2 is fucking stupid [N]

bafroom
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
take out that slow down when being shot

i don't know, i kind of like that. though, i'd rather them remove the delay between running and shooting...i think this would fix the problem.

as far as removing smokes, i'm not sure i'm into that either. tweak them some more (as in, more actual smoke), sure, but remove, i don't know.

dlc, i like it, i buy it, but if i wasn't a hardcore gearhead, i wouldn't. for instance, i like halo, but don't play it much, so i don't spend the money on the maps..not all of them anyway. but if they released it quarterly, then sold all 4 packs in one economy deal at the end of the year, i think that would probably be a good idea (ala all fronts).

as far as having skin-able characters...the golden lancer is about all the bling i can handle, but to each their own!

good thread!

HostilePrime
07-31-2009, 01:24 PM
take out that slow down when being shot

i don't know, i kind of like that. though, i'd rather them remove the delay between running and shooting...i think this would fix the problem.

as far as removing smokes, i'm not sure i'm into that either. tweak them some more (as in, more actual smoke), sure, but remove, i don't know.

dlc, i like it, i buy it, but if i wasn't a hardcore gearhead, i wouldn't. for instance, i like halo, but don't play it much, so i don't spend the money on the maps..not all of them anyway. but if they released it quarterly, then sold all 4 packs in one economy deal at the end of the year, i think that would probably be a good idea (ala all fronts).

as far as having skin-able characters...the golden lancer is about all the bling i can handle, but to each their own!

good thread!

when it wasnt in there back on Gears1 it seemed like you had a good chance on taking out the whole team by yourself especially if you were proficient with a specific weapon but with it being in there it seems more like a burden than a blessing [^o)]

HPR MONSTER
08-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Dedicated servers, p-p-p-p-please.

RyeRye113097
08-11-2009, 01:36 AM

I completely agree with this. Fact is that glitchers wouldn't be a problem if they were dropped as soon as an interupt or poor connection quality is detected. The host advantage however, is infuriating and is prevalent in both GoW and GoW2. Glitching and the host advantage would be a thing of the past if we had dedicated servers. For the yearly fee we have to pay to have Live I feel that games like Halo 3, GoW2, and Call of Duty games should be on dedicated servers to reduce glitching and eliminate host advantages. Host advantage is so prevalent in Gears of War 2 that it almost ruins the multiplayer experience. For my money, the biggest and best games on the system should be on a dedicated server to level the playing field. As you can tell I'm pretty sick of the 'host shotgun'.

cdub998
08-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Here goes..

1 Make me run slower

2 Give ma a big delay when shooting the mortar

3 give my whole team host advantage like crazy when i host

4 slow down that shotgun rate of fire.

5 maybe we should just get rid of all the weapons and only let everyone have a lancer

Wait thats how it is already [:P]

Bourbon
08-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Here goes..

1 Make me run slower

2 Give ma a big delay when shooting the mortar

3 give my whole team host advantage like crazy when i host

4 slow down that shotgun rate of fire.

5 maybe we should just get rid of all the weapons and only let everyone have a lancer

Wait thats how it is already http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

TU5 is supposed to be the best update yet. You still have weapons (unfortunately), but when you get in a crowd of opposing players, you just hit the A button to ask them over for tea. Then you hit the X button to calmly resolve your differences. The winner of the match is determined by who comes up with the best idea to avoid conflict. This way, no one player has an advantage over the other one. Fairness and equality for all Gears 2 players.....that's what we want to maintain.

vcize
08-11-2009, 06:53 AM
I think they need to map more controls to the A button. It doesn't do enough.

venoms envy
08-11-2009, 06:56 AM
they should just give everyone a chainsaw. or just me and everyone else can go bare fist. however game connecting issues need to be addressed at some point its rediculous how much lag there is now.

albyhouse
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Here's what I think.

1. Bring back the shotgun in all it's glory, it's a great weapon when the game lets me shoot it.

2. Active sniper downs, WHAT! did I just say that? Yep, I miss that part of the game

3. Loose the smoke grenade stun and add more smoke.

4. Ability to keep same teams in private matches, ready up button, chat at the end of the round.

You know, kinda like Gears fucking 1 but better graphics, some cool game types and some neat-o executions and a few nifty new weapons.

Bourbon
08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
2. Active sniper downs, WHAT! did I just say that? Yep, I miss that part of the game

I guess you're holding true to your sig.

BoomerBrian
08-11-2009, 07:54 AM

I guess you're holding true to your sig.

Oh goodness. Active downs would make the game even slower. Imagine getting smoke cringed then active downed. Removing active sniper downs was one of the better decisions IMO. Last time I played Gears 1 I was reminded how damn annoying they are.

vcize
08-11-2009, 08:21 AM
On one hand, the ability to crawl goes a long way towards balancing active downs (no more long range triple downs if there is cover nearby).

On the other hand, they pretty much had to get rid of them in Gears 2 because the game moves so much slower and the maps are so much more wide open. It's so much easier to get a body shot with the sniper in Gears 2 than it was in Gears 1.

vcize
08-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Also, I can't believe that people still have a problem with the smokes.

I mean, the cringe lasts hardly any time, you're covered in smoke and hard to find, and with the roadie run delay it's almost impossible to move in on someone and be able to shoot up close enough to gib them before they recover.

99% of the time I throw a smoke at someone and then rush in I'm the one that ends up getting gibbed in the face because they recover too fast, so I've pretty much given up on that and just use it as a way to get in close to someone bunkered up and set up a fair fight up close from there, which is fine.

TazmanAK
08-11-2009, 08:50 AM
whats scary is that after all the updates its pretty close to what I want except those few things make me hate it.

#1 - let my character do what I tell it to do. This is the biggest one for me, I shouldn't jump towards the enemy after picking up a weapon and trying to jump backwards. Like vcize mentions I should be able to pick up a meatshield without jumping over the guy or going into cover instead.

#2 - make the guys run a little faster.

#3 - bring back hip firing accuracy.

Really I'd probably be fine with the rest of the game. I can live without active downs. They were cheap and If I got one I always tried for the headshot when they were getting up.

WideNine
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I still think a lot of their 'balancing' tweaks are to coverup apparant flaws with their netcode.

Some minor tweaks I would like:

1) Remove run delay before shooting. Not expecting to go back to roadie run shotgun blasts, just being able to shoot as soon as you let off of A.

2) Somehow allow you to pick up a meatflag on an uneven surface without jumping over them 5 times...and watching them get up in the process.

3) Reduce boom from 3 to 2.

4) Have a special Horde wave of CliffyB characters that you can kill and mutilate to your liking.

5) And some tweaking to the lobby system to make keeping teams/map selection/ready up easier. Given the drunkard nature of Room 3 during the wingman tournament, hitting the Y button to get on the same team became a Towers of Hanoi problem from hell. This will never happen because it will require them to come out with another lobby system in addition to what they have, but one can hope.

Bladerunner123
08-12-2009, 07:37 AM
5) And some tweaking to the lobby system to make keeping teams/map selection/ready up easier. Given the drunkard nature of Room 3 during the wingman tournament, hitting the Y button to get on the same team became a Towers of Hanoi problem from hell. This will never happen because it will require them to come out with another lobby system in addition to what they have, but one can hope.

that was some funny shit... what a blast our room had.

1) Agree with the dedicated server suggestion

2) on the fence with smokes, i think the updates have made those more tolerable now

3) Bring back the old shotgun, definitely.

4) decrease blast radius on grenades.

cdub998
08-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Oh and bring back the pert where the room would pause if the leaders connection "lagged" too much. will get rid of the damn lag switchers.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
As far as I'm concerned, this game would be perfect if it had dedicated servers, the hammer of dawn shouldn'tbe so damn picky aboutfiring a few inches difference from movement, actually fix the fucking shield glitchesand if they fixed the sniper rifle's accuracy problem with elevated sniping(i.e. looking down at enemies on Canals, the cross-hair is red, I shoot, the bullet goes a few inches below where I'm aiming).

I like the delay after running, makes the game less mindless. I like that weapons like the mortar and mulcher take a moment to use/walk with, they're heavy and the recoil on the human/locust body would be a bitch, that's as realistic as it gets. I like that you slow down when being shot from the front, IT MAKES SENSE.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

vcize
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Ya know, I'm not sure even dedicated servers would fix the lag issues in Gears.

It would get rid of host advantage, which is a big help, but there is still far more to Gears connection issues than host advantage. You can be pinging so well to one host that you're unstoppable, then switch to a different host and suddenly you can't kill anything. Even with a dedicated server, you'd still be dealing with latency issues depending on the server you connect to, just like you do depending on the host you connect to.

I think the Gears netcode needs to be totally re-worked...by more than one person this time. When I play Call of Duty or Halo I can't tell what my ping is. It always feels the same. The game playing with one host is the same as with playing with another. But in Gears, within a minute of starting a game I can tell what range my ping is in. Ping just affects the game so much more in Gears than any of those others.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Ya know, I'm not sure even dedicated servers would fix the lag issues in Gears.

It would get rid of host advantage, which is a big help, but there is still far more to Gears connection issues than host advantage. You can be pinging so well to one host that you're unstoppable, then switch to a different host and suddenly you can't kill anything. Even with a dedicated server, you'd still be dealing with latency issues depending on the server you connect to, just like you do depending on the host you connect to.

I think the Gears netcode needs to be totally re-worked...by more than one person this time. When I play Call of Duty or Halo I can't tell what my ping is. It always feels the same. The game playing with one host is the same as with playing with another. But in Gears, within a minute of starting a game I can tell what range my ping is in. Ping just affects the game so much more in Gears than any of those others.
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>
dedicated servers in Killzone 2 allow me to join Japanese rooms of 31 other people, sometime there are also peoplefrom Europe, the US and Australia as well in these rooms, lag free for 5 games in a row. I know its a different system altogether, butdedicated serverswould be a huge help, regardless of your latency (which I have the worst of at 150-160 ping).

BTW: my example is no exaggeration.

WideNine
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I like the delay after running, makes the game less mindless.

Here's my prob, how many times do you get the jump on someone with their back turned to you, run up to them, and wait for the delay. They get tipped off and you end up getting sawed or your head blown off. To me, it is more mindless for someone not to be checking their six all the time to prevent getting snuck up on.

Ryan916
08-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Here's my prob, how many times do you get the jump on someone with their back turned to you, run up to them, and wait for the delay. They get tipped off and you end up getting sawed or your head blown off. To me, it is more mindless for someone not to be checking their six all the time to prevent getting snuck up on.

This is a problem with me as well.

vcize
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
dedicated servers in Killzone 2 allow me to join Japanese rooms of 31 other people, sometime there are also peoplefrom Europe, the US and Australia as well in these rooms, lag free for 5 games in a row. I know its a different system altogether, butdedicated serverswould be a huge help, regardless of your latency (which I have the worst of at 150-160 ping).

See, but that's what I'm saying. In KZ2 the difference of having a 50ms ping and a 150ms ping is hardly noticeable. In Gears the difference of having a 50ms ping and a 150ms ping is catastrophic.

If I ping 30ms worse to you to a dedicated server in New Mexico then I can't even tell in CoD, Halo, KZ, etc. If I ping 30ms worse to you to a dedicated server in New Mexico in Gears, I'm at a huge disadvantage.

vcize
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM

This is a problem with me as well.

Yep. Flanking was one of the coolest parts of Gears and it's oh so very rare now. And I'm not talking just long around the level flanks, little mini-flanks in the midst of battles and whatnot are virtually gone now. All advantage gained by doing so is lost, and the lazy nubs that stand around and are completely unaware of what's going on around them are rewarded.

And not being able to execute out of a roadie run is possibly the dumbest thing ever (well no, these delays existing in the first place as a whole is the dumbest thing ever, but this is right up there). It wouldn't be AS bad if you could just meat-shield them instead, but of course we know how that goes with the A button...

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 11:09 AM

See, but that's what I'm saying. In KZ2 the difference of having a 50ms ping and a 150ms ping is hardly noticeable. In Gears the difference of having a 50ms ping and a 150ms ping is catastrophic.

If I ping 30ms worse to you to a dedicated server in New Mexico then I can't even tell in CoD, Halo, KZ, etc. If I ping 30ms worse to you to a dedicated server in New Mexico in Gears, I'm at a huge disadvantage.

FINALLY! Someone agrees with me on ping time advantages in Gears. It doesn't take much to make a difference.

WideNine
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM
if they fixed the sniper rifle's accuracy problem with elevated sniping(i.e. looking down at enemies on Canals, the cross-hair is red, I shoot, the bullet goes a few inches below where I'm aiming).

I don't rely on the red crosshair anymore to shoot. A lot of times it isn't red and I'm awarded with a headshot. I had a few last night in River. I was in the sniper shed and getting headshots on the bridge while they were behind cover.

However, the headshot thing on moving targets is borked and is highly inconsistent. I think a lot of it is from their prediction/smoothing network code to make lag less apparent. It should be a difficult shot to make, but the rarity of them compared to G1 tells the story.

BoomerBrian
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
FINALLY! Someone agrees with me on ping time advantages in Gears. It doesn't take much to make a difference.

LOL! I don't think anyone ever disagreed. Most of us have just accepted it and moved on.[:P]

BoomerBrian
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
As far as their netcode it probably could be reworked but IMO I think the nature of the upclose Gears gameplay exposes the lag more than other games. There have been plenty of times in COD I put clips in guys and nothing. I was never good enough in Halo to notice the difference. If there was any lag I just chalked it up to not being very good.

vcize
08-12-2009, 11:29 AM
if they fixed the sniper rifle's accuracy problem with elevated sniping(i.e. looking down at enemies on Canals, the cross-hair is red, I shoot, the bullet goes a few inches below where I'm aiming).

I don't rely on the red crosshair anymore to shoot. A lot of times it isn't red and I'm awarded with a headshot. I had a few last night in River. I was in the sniper shed and getting headshots on the bridge while they were behind cover.

However, the headshot thing on moving targets is borked and is highly inconsistent. I think a lot of it is from their prediction/smoothing network code to make lag less apparent. It should be a difficult shot to make, but the rarity of them compared to G1 tells the story.

It's the same with the torque in Gears 2. In Gears 1 at least the thing when where your tracer did, and aside from the all too common sparklers (and even with them) if you hit something, that's where the arrow ended up (or in the case of sparklers, up against an invisible wall 1cm away from that spot).

In Gears 2 I'll see the tracer go right through someone, but the actual arrow ends up 10 feet to the right of them. Or I'll see the tracer go 10 feet to the side of someone, and then magically it warps over into their body and kills them.

With the torque in Gears 2, usually when I feel like I'm hitting everything, I'm not killing anyone with it. And when I feel like I'm hitting nothing, I'm killing everyone.

Like last night Lemin hosted a room. I must've killed people with 7 or 8 straight torque shots over the course of two rounds without missing one, and I didn't think I hit a single goddamned one of them. It was like the torque was heat seeking or something because I'd watch them roll out of the way, watch my tracker go way over to the side of them, and then suddenly they had an arrow stuck to them that blew up.

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Don't get me started on the torque. I've killed myselfseveral times after watching the arrow hit its intended target (or at their feet) 50 yards away, only to realize that it actually hit the cover right in front of me and killed me. On my screen, the arrow was on the other side of the map.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
No more flanking because of delayed reaction? Are you people high? Am I the only one noticing the "pincer" manouvres you people have been pulling off day-in and day-out? But I will agree that it stinks that the element of surprise is kinda neutered with the delay.

I think I understand what you guys are getting at about dedicating servers not doing much for latency, but wouldn't nullifying host-advantage (even slightly) totally make up for it? I think so.

I was very happy when the active-downs for sniper was taken out.

I like the new-new smokes,your enemy doesn't cringe for long, but if you get 'em its oh so satisfying.I don't recall ever being affected by smokes in Gears 1 other than "oh, smoke, my vision is mildly obscured", no cringe, nothing, they were useless, though they were a laugh when you'd tad someone and they'd leave a smoke trail behind them.

BoomerBrian
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
The flank in Gears is alive and well. Just ask Duck.[:P] Just barrell roll before you get there.

IMO the torque is more accurate in Gears 2. When I played Gears 1 a few weeks ago I couldn't believe how buggy it was. The sniper is better as well IMO in Gears 2.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM

It's the same with the torque in Gears 2. In Gears 1 at least the thing when where your tracer did, and aside from the all too common sparklers (and even with them) if you hit something, that's where the arrow ended up (or in the case of sparklers, up against an invisible wall 1cm away from that spot).

In Gears 2 I'll see the tracer go right through someone, but the actual arrow ends up 10 feet to the right of them. Or I'll see the tracer go 10 feet to the side of someone, and then magically it warps over into their body and kills them.

With the torque in Gears 2, usually when I feel like I'm hitting everything, I'm not killing anyone with it. And when I feel like I'm hitting nothing, I'm killing everyone.

Like last night Lemin hosted a room. I must've killed people with 7 or 8 straight torque shots over the course of two rounds without missing one, and I didn't think I hit a single goddamned one of them. It was like the torque was heat seeking or something because I'd watch them roll out of the way, watch my tracker go way over to the side of them, and then suddenly they had an arrow stuck to them that blew up.

I think they coded the torque to go instantly where you aim it on a"full charge"regardless of the bolt's animation. That's my theory on the torque anyway. Though, its extremely rare for me to experience the problem Vcize just described.

I agree with BoomerBrian, both the torque and sniper are better in Gears 2, in our opinions. In Gears 1 I was terrible with both. Now in Gears 2, I'm pretty decent because I find them easier to aim with.

SuperRabbit
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I only want to say that the delay out of Roadie Running is the stupidest thing in any shooting game ever.

I've pretty much moved on from Gears but that one stupid change is enough to make me cringe at even picking it up for a fun Friday. There is NOTHING in any game more frustrating than getting a good flank and the game won't execute the buttons you are pressing because of some stupid delay. Cliffy B sucks.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I only want to say that the delay out of Roadie Running is the stupidest thing in any shooting game ever.

I've pretty much moved on from Gears but that one stupid change is enough to make me cringe at even picking it up for a fun Friday. There is NOTHING in any game more frustrating than getting a good flank and the game won't execute the buttons you are pressing because of some stupid delay. Cliffy B sucks.
I guess I'll never understand the big deal about the roadie run shotty attack, since I was never one to utilize it. I wouldn't really have any objection/complaint about Epic putting it back in (even though they probably won't) just as long as they kept "slow-down while being shot at" thing there, it seemed to balance out the roadie run attacks in the early days.

WideNine
08-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I guess I'll never understand the big deal about the roadie run shotty attack, since I was never one to utilize it. I wouldn't really have any objection/complaint about Epic putting it back in (even though they probably won't) just as long as they kept "slow-down while being shot at" thing there, it seemed to balance out the roadie run attacks in the early days.

There was once an AGEr that was a master and artist of the roadie run shotgun. Shortly after Gears 2, he traded the game in disgust and stopped visiting AGE due to the removal of it. Somewhere, like a vampire, he lies in wait for the day they bring it back.

AJ in HD
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM

There was once an AGEr that was a master and artist of the roadie run shotgun. Shortly after Gears 2, he traded the game in disgust and stopped visiting AGE due to the removal of it. Somewhere, like a vampire, he lies in wait for the day they bring it back.

i believe he's probably watching some DVDs....

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
IMO the torque is more accurate in Gears 2. When I played Gears 1 a few weeks ago I couldn't believe how buggy it was. The sniper is better as well IMO in Gears 2.

There's no doubt about that. The torque consistency in Gears 2 is way better. The sniper isn't even a contest. Not from my house, anyway. The G2 sniper is far and away more accurate than Gears 1. Again, that's from my house on my connection. May be different for others.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 01:10 PM

There's no doubt about that. The torque consistency in Gears 2 is way better. The sniper isn't even a contest. Not from my house, anyway. The G2 sniper is far and away more accurate than Gears 1. Again, that's from my house on my connection. May be different for others.
My connection is mediocre at best and I agree.

Another thing that would improve the experience is fixing that damn "stun" from dropping the lancer. Not that I think they should nerf it, just cut down the time you're stunned by a second or 2 just so I'm not back-stepping 3 times before I can bring out the saw again.

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
smokes in Gears 1......no cringe, nothing, they were useless

No, they weren't useless. They were the only weapon in any game that you could use to drop the frame rate down to 1 fps.

Teh Shrapnel
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM

i hope they do! the awesome "A" cost me 2 meatflag captures the other night.

Cliffy B has been hanging out with Soulja Boy too much.

many good ideas, need to post them over at the Gears Forum as well.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

The only button I can think of that they could use for meat shield that isn't in use (other than in cover) is pressing the right analog stick.

BoomerBrian
08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
The only button I can think of that they could use for meat shield that isn't in use (other than in cover) is pressing the right analog stick.

Left Bumper would be best IMO.

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Yeah, but I figured right analog would be the better choice just because its only use is in cover...but left bumper might work better just for ease of use, I can see a problem with use the analog stick in that you might accidentally walk past your meat shield.

AJ in HD
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Yeah, but I figured right analog would be the better choice just because its only use is in cover...but left bumper might work better just for ease of use, I can see a problem with use the analog stick in that you might accidentally walk past your meat shield.

'back' button FTW!!!

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 02:46 PM

'back' button FTW!!!

lol but that's to see the scores, at least with the left bumper is only turns you vision black and white for a moment instead of completely obscurring you vision (my word of the day is "obscure" [:p])

AJ in HD
08-12-2009, 03:11 PM

'back' button FTW!!!

lol but that's to see the scores, at least with the left bumper is only turns you vision black and white for a moment instead of completely obscurring you vision (my word of the day is "obscure" /emoticons/emotion-4.gif)

yeah in my view Epic simply remaps whatever proximity sensor they have so that if i hit 'back' scores don't come up...the fucking meatshield does!!! [:D]

ChewySmokey
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM

'back' button FTW!!!

lol but that's to see the scores, at least with the left bumper is only turns you vision black and white for a moment instead of completely obscurring you vision (my word of the day is "obscure" /emoticons/emotion-4.gif)

yeah in my view Epic simply remaps whatever proximity sensor they have so that if i hit 'back' scores don't come up...the fucking meatshield does!!! /emoticons/emotion-2.gif
ooooh yeah...context sensitive proximity, forgot aboot those

vcize
08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
<div style="CLEAR:both;" mce_style="CLEAR:both;"></div>

The easiest thing would just be to switch the meatshiled and disrespect buttons. Make meatshield 'Y', and disrespect 'A'. I mean, the only time anyone ever disrespects is when they're all alone, usually at the end of the round, so they have plenty of time to make sure they're in the execution position. Meatshielding someone is something that's often done in the middle of a chaotic firefight, so you can't really take your time with it like you need to to use the A button there.

So just switch the two. I mean, I can't believe no one fucking suggested this to Epic when they were testing the game (this is of course, operating under the assumption that the game was actually tested, which I am not yet convinced of).

HPR MONSTER
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM

The easiest thing would just be to switch the meatshiled and disrespect buttons. Make meatshield 'Y', and disrespect 'A'. I mean, the only time anyone ever disrespects is when they're all alone, usually at the end of the round, so they have plenty of time to make sure they're in the execution position. Meatshielding someone is something that's often done in the middle of a chaotic firefight, so you can't really take your time with it like you need to to use the A button there.

So just switch the two. I mean, I can't believe no one fucking suggested this to Epic when they were testing the game (this is of course, operating under the assumption that the game was actually tested, which I am not yet convinced of).

I think a more consistent choice would be the X button. It is used to pick up teammates and weapons; why not a meatshield? However, I can see people trying to revive a teammate and accidentally taking a meatshield. But still, at least you're in a better position than if you supermanned everybody.

They could then either take out the curb stomp, make it the A button, or remove the melee and replace it with a curb stomp (when you're within execution range). I like the melee for quickly killing a downed enemy, but it seems pretty cheap and unrealistic. With friendly fire on, you could accidentally kill your teammate with a melee when you were trying to hit the opponent right next to them. If you took out the melee finisher, this wouldn't be a problem if they don't let you curb stomp a downed teammate, which they don't allow already.

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
ooooh yeah...context sensitive proximity, forgot <u>aboot</u> those

[:D] [Y]

cdub998
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Yeah I have no idea what is up with the torque lately. It was never this bad until recently. Last night I was in a room on river and for 3 rounds I shot a torque at a guy who wasn't moving and the arrow went directly through him and hit the ground right behind him. WTF

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I have no idea what is up with the torque lately. It was never this bad until recently.Alright, since you through down the "lately" card on a weapon....

I have no idea what's happened to my beloved Hammerburst, but since we got the new map pack, I can't down shit with it. Since it's the only weapon I really use, I'm all too familiar with it, and it's very, very hard for me to down people now. It was really an overnight difference. Weird, since no one else seems to have a problem.

BoomerBrian
08-12-2009, 05:22 PM
The HammerBurst is alive and well. Just ask Ender.[:@]

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
The HammerBurst is alive and well. Just ask Ender.http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/emotion-12.gif

Fuck Ender. [mf]

vcize
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Ok, all they really need to do to make this game near perfect is remove all these stupid delays and add the melee stun back in from Gears 1 (where if you get shot while trying to melee you get stunned). That way, people are at least taking a big risk when they melee, just like when Chainsawing (and no one complains about the chainsaw anymore now that they added the stun back to it). Just don't make it like Gears 1 where you also get stunned if getting shot while quick executing someone. Although since both buttons use the B button, I'm sure there's no way Epic can distinguish between the two in their code.

Also, removing wall plants wouldn't hurt, god that shit is annoying. Though I'd settle for at least making GP games FF on to cut down on them, them just not even existing would be even better. This has always annoyed me about 10000x more than smoke grenades ever did.

Bourbon
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Ok, all they really need to do to make this game near perfect is remove all these stupid delays and add the melee stun back in from Gears 1 (where if you get shot while trying to melee you get stunned). That way, people are at least taking a big risk when they melee, just like when Chainsawing (and no one complains about the chainsaw anymore now that they added the stun back to it). Just don't make it like Gears 1 where you also get stunned if getting shot while quick executing someone. Although since both buttons use the B button, I'm sure there's no way Epic can distinguish between the two in their code.

Also, removing wall plants wouldn't hurt, god that shit is annoying. Though I'd settle for at least making GP games FF on to cut down on them, them just not even existing would be even better. This has always annoyed me about 10000x more than smoke grenades ever did.

Completely agree. Especially about the grenade plants. It's not like we need something else to slow the game down.

cdub998
08-13-2009, 04:27 AM
Yeah I have no idea what is up with the torque lately. It was never this bad until recently.Alright, since you through down the "lately" card on a weapon....

I have no idea what's happened to my beloved Hammerburst, but since we got the new map pack, I can't down shit with it. Since it's the only weapon I really use, I'm all too familiar with it, and it's very, very hard for me to down people now. It was really an overnight difference. Weird, since no one else seems to have a problem.

Well you know they have the ability to "balance" on the fly now without a patch so god knows what will happen. I am by no means the best with the torque but I can roll pretty well with it most times and I have just been noticing some weird crap. Now the snipe I won't even tough that anymore. Scope in on someone and the wind blowing will make your scope jump like freaking mexican jumping beans. what a piece of shit.

quicksilver1663
08-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Make it so I can get more than 1 kill a round...or entire match.

That is all.

AJ in HD
08-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Make it so I can get more than 1 kill a round...or entire match.

That is all.

It's not Epic's fault that you suck. [bx]

ChewySmokey
08-13-2009, 08:20 AM

<p style="CLEAR: both">

Well you know they have the ability to "balance" on the fly now without a patch so god knows what will happen. I am by no means the best with the torque but I can roll pretty well with it most times and I have just been noticing some weird crap. Now the snipe I won't even tough that anymore. Scope in on someone and the wind blowing will make your scope jump like freaking mexican jumping beans. what a piece of shit.

Nah, your controller is dying, that's all...or you just suck at aiming [bx]

quicksilver1663
08-13-2009, 11:01 AM
It's not Epic's fault that you suck. http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/box.gif

I will blame anything and everything other than my own abilities.

BoomerBrian
08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Thought that is what all Canadians did?[:P]

ChewySmokey
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Thought that is what all Canadians did?/emoticons/emotion-4.gif
Whereas Americans blame Canada for everything wronginsociety [:p]

quicksilver1663
08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Thought that is what all Canadians did?http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

Oh no u didn't.

You Did[mf]

vcize
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Thought that is what all Canadians did?http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

Whereas Americans blame Canada for everything wronginsociety http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

To be fair, it is all legitimately their fault.

AJ in HD
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Whereas Americans blame Canada for everything wronginsociety /emoticons/emotion-4.gif

<object width="425" height="344">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nYSYipouABI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nYSYipouABI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>
</object>

ChewySmokey
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Whereas Americans blame Canada for everything wronginsociety /emoticons/emotion-4.gif

heh, beat me to it

quicksilver1663
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey Boomer you playing Gears tonight and not against the GP. I know you fear the AGE private rooms. Would like to kill you a few times (even if on the same team).

Bourbon
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM

...and Bourbons. [:$]

BoomerBrian
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I know you fear the AGE private rooms. Would like to kill you a few times (even if on the same team).

LOL! You might want to wear some depends so you don't soil your robe from fear. I have been playing in AGE rooms the past few weeks.

ChewySmokey
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I know you fear the AGE private rooms. Would like to kill you a few times (even if on the same team).

LOL! You might want to wear some depends so you don't soil your robe from fear. I have been playing in AGE rooms the past few weeks.

Still doesn't change the fact that you're an economic girly-man

IceLion
08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Sorry to drag this back on topic....[:)]

Suggestions to improve Gears

- Above all else, Epic needs to get their head out of their ass and make dedicated servers for Gears. If they did it for the UT they should be doing it for Gears. # 1 complaint for me.

- Ease up on the nerfing of the Lancer. I know it needs to be somewhat nerfed to ofset the saw but it is near useless as a ranged weapon. I am downed by6 shots of the hammerburst, yet I empty an entire Lancer clip on someone and they just keep coming.

- Fix the debacle regarding the shoot from the ip shotty... in other words allow it to actually hit something. Ever. You know, like in Gears 1?

Lemin
08-14-2009, 08:52 AM
It is my opinion that Gears of War 2 is the best video game ever made. I am a recent (within the last 5 years) online gamer, however, there has never been another game that has grabbed my attention like this francise. However, here are some suggestions to take this already awesome game to the next level:

<LI>Increase frequency of DLC - with 20+ maps (most awesome) the ease of delivery and captive audience should prompt EPIC to release quarterly DLC (and I'm talking maps, not gamer pix and avatar armor).

<LI>Punish Glitchers - this is the most annoying aspect of pub matches. Fix it guys or punch the A-HOLES who continue to abuse the system.

<LI>This is a pipe dream, but allowing players to customize map types like Halo would be 'UNREAL' (no pun intended).

<LI>Introduce new chapters (like they have done) but allow new characters to be unlocked (and play-able in online play) when completing the new chapters (encouraging people to buy the new maps).

<LI>Create more appropriate filters: AGE has done a nice job of connecting mature gamers, but allowing a higher degree of filters so that $#!T game types (i.e. King of the Hill) can be removed from the set list as well as filtering out the cheap F#CK$ who don't buy new content (rumored) would be ideal.

<LI>Fix (or get rid of) smoke grenades. These are highly annoying in game types such as Annex. If they worked as they did in Gears 1 - perfect.

<LI>Finally (and I have been saying this since GOW1) - add custom skins as DLC for this game. Imagine being able to download a GI Joe pack that would make COG the Joes and Locust Cobra. Can you imagine rolling around a map as Destro, Duke, Zartan, etc.? PS - a female character would be great also guys!</LI>

8. Create a female Gears Character named Bunny and let only the females be able to choose her.

Someone probably already suggested this, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts in this thread. lol

bafroom
08-14-2009, 09:45 AM
8. Create a female Gears Character named Bunny and let only the females be able to choose her.

Someone probably already suggested this, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts in this thread. lol

umm yeah, that was like the first 3 pages of discussion. i mean, why wouldn't they have a female character named bunny?

of course, with a name like that, she should probably be mostly naked and collecting dollar bills from all the other characters.

Bourbon
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
of course, with a name like that, she should probably be mostly naked and collecting dollar bills from all the other characters.

I'm not sure that name and character would do much to curtail wall humping, either.

IceLion
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM

I'm not sure that name and character would do much to curtail wall humping, either.

Did I miss a memo? Why would we want to curtail wall humping?

Bourbon
08-14-2009, 11:42 AM

I wasn't sure if theestrogen heavyGears players like being wall humped.

Well, Vcize likes it, so I guess they do.

Greedeemee
08-14-2009, 12:03 PM

^^ Lemin you do realize what this would do to Darth SN in private matches vs. you. I mean its dirty enough when it is a human male and Alien? male. Imagine how much he would enjoy it if you were actually a female toon.

Speaking of which at some point I've got to get a vid capture of him taking you to a secluded corner to have his way with you.

Greedeemee
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM

A Gree D!

HPR MONSTER
08-14-2009, 03:40 PM

I wasn't even aware females played Gears.

P.S. What's a female?

AJ in HD
08-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Lemin also likes it too...didn't you know that "no" means "yes"? I thought everybody knew that! [:D]

Lemin
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM

umm yeah, that was like the first 3 pages of discussion. i mean, why wouldn't they have a female character named bunny?

Bunny Cog would kick your ass with her Boomfor a comment like that. She would never take dollar bills!

MarkcusD
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I would like it if they would select the best connection to host instead of the random number generator they are using now and four player co-op through the campaign. Dedicated servers.

Lemin
08-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I would like it if they would select the best connection to host instead of the random number generator they are using now and four player co-op through the campaign. Dedicated servers.

Do you even play Gears 2 anymore? lol

WAIT ONE DANG SECOND THERE BUDDY!!!

I get host all the time when I start up a Public Match (even with 4 other GP). If they change the "GIVE LEMIN HOST EVERYTIME" method, that would SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Booooooooooo, to your bad bad bad idea.

Lemin
08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Back to my rant...

Oh no! We wouldn't want that! Bunny wants to be able to wall hump all you dweebs after she downs you a few times and makes you crawl at her feet begging for mercy and a quick death!

Bite your tongue Bourbon!

Lemin
08-17-2009, 09:53 PM

No, you didn't miss a memo, but if you need one I will gladly post it to the next wall that I plan to hump you on after I down you while you're running for the Hammer of Dawn, Torque Bow...and all the other power weapons you insist on calling dibbs on. [;)]

Lemin
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM

You know, Bourbon, it's perfectly okay to refer to us as "The Superior Gender". We really don't mind [;)]

Lemin
08-17-2009, 09:58 PM

^^ Lemin you do realize what this would do to Darth SN in private matches vs. you. I mean its dirty enough when it is a human male and Alien? male. Imagine how much he would enjoy it if you were actually a female toon.

Speaking of which at some point I've got to get a vid capture of him taking you to a secluded corner to have his way with you.

...and...I don't see a bad side here??? lol

What makes you think I don't enjoy him taking me to a secluded corner to have his way with me??? [ro]

Don't worry Greedee. Two things you should know...

<LI>I always get even.</LI>
<LI>You don't have to be jealous.I can ask Darth totake youto a secluded corner too!</LI>

lol

Lemin
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM

I wasn't even aware females played Gears.

P.S. What's a female?

OH GAAAAARSH HPR. This is thelast place whereyou should think about coming out of the closet! Have we not taught you anything yet???

Lemin
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Lemin also likes it too...didn't you know that "no" means "yes"? I thought everybody knew that! http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/emoticons/emotion-2.gif

Oh AJ, I guess we can say "We will always have Gears". You're just so darned romantic sometimes!