PDA

View Full Version : Opening night for Dark Corners

bafroom
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
ok, i didn't see a thread, so i figured i'd start it. while i'm sure that many people are getting the dlc, i'm as sure that not everybody is,

so......

who's up for an all Dark Corners room tonight? all dark corners, all night! (well, mostly all dark corners anyway)

AJ in HD
07-28-2009, 08:01 AM
if i can get myself to a store to pick up some points i'm in. poor planning on my part as I knew i needed points and still haven't gotten them.

quicksilver1663
07-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Im in. Will be on at 9pm est

vcize
07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm down.

Darth Waya
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm up for it. Might host a Dark Corners Horde room myself.

bafroom
07-28-2009, 09:23 AM
yeah, i didn't say i was planning on hosting (figured cheffy or somebody would be all over that)...just trying to get the wheels turning!

ChewySmokey
07-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I already cheevo whored the "win on each map" cheevo and the lost chapters guns blazing cheevo. chances are, I'll either be playing through the lost chapter on stealth with ScatRD or I will also be hosting a horde room...or joining one.

AJ in HD
07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I already cheevo whored the "win on each map" cheevo and the lost chapters guns blazing cheevo. chances are, I'll either be playing through the lost chapter on stealth with ScatRD or I will also be hosting a horde room...or joining one.

damn dude...wtf...did you take the day off or something? I thought you worked?

ChewySmokey
07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

damn dude...wtf...did you take the day off or something? I thought you worked?

lol...nope, I downloaded it at 330AM and posted this in the video walkthrough:

Downloaded them about an hour ago.

Road to Ruin: I set it on casual and chose "guns blazing" so I could get through it quickly, and boy did I. Only took 20 minutes, but on any other difficult, like Hardcore, you're probably looking at a good 45 minutes. I remember hearing something about some sort of monster for this chapter, but I did not see anything new or different from what was already in Gears 2, maybe I have to play the stealth portion to see it?

Dark Corners: I played through these very briefly as well (one bot on casual to keep me company):

Allfathers Garden: conjested with a lot of twists and turns and ample cover.
Highway: redder version of Ruins with more elevations and bends.
Memorial: quite a bit of open ground between cover spots outside, while the indoors area has two parallel corridors that eventually join to a power weapon.
Nowhere: a lot of open ground with a few elevations.
Sancuary: a lot of twists and bends on the outskirts with an even mix of cover and open ground in the middle area.
War Machine: only noticable differences from the original is that it is darker, boom is in place of torque and the turret is replaced with a mulcher.
Way Station: a locust smelting facility. not sure how to kill myself with the environment yet, but I'm sure it has something to do with a small retractable walkway that goes over the smelting containor's rails.

Wish I could take the time to be more indepth, but it is now 4:30AM ...zzzzzz

AJ in HD
07-28-2009, 09:56 AM

that's dedication man!

ChewySmokey
07-28-2009, 10:02 AM

that's dedication man!
Damn right! Would you believe that even after getting up for work around 715 I'm totally wirey and hungry for whorde? [:p]

ChewySmokey
07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
One thing, though. Last night before the DLC was set to drop, ScatRD and I were screwing around in horde and noticed that we were getting double EXP. So we started playing on Hardcore difficulty for 400 per wave instead of the usual 200. Anyone else noticed? Could this be a way of celebrating the release of the new maps? I couldn't find anything about it on the EPIC forums.

bafroom
07-28-2009, 10:13 AM
double xp for dark corners horde and mp playlist this week

vcize
07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
One thing, though. Last night before the DLC was set to drop, ScatRD and I were screwing around in horde and noticed that we were getting double EXP. So we started playing on Hardcore difficulty for 400 per wave instead of the usual 200. Anyone else noticed? Could this be a way of celebrating the release of the new maps? I couldn't find anything about it on the EPIC forums.

I noticed that this morning. I was playing through the Dark Corners maps in Horde just to check them out and was getting double. I thought maybe I was getting double because I was playing it by myself or something, but I guess not.

ChewySmokey
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
can't be exclusive, ScatRD and I were playing on Pavillion and Day One, getting double EXP.

bafroom
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM

can't be exclusive, ScatRD and I were playing on Pavillion and Day One, getting double EXP.

you got me

Ryan916
07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
How is the new single player chapter?

bafroom
07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
oh, and bt said he was in!

bafroom
07-28-2009, 10:32 AM

i played it on stealth earlier...meh, i'm not much for stealth! it looked like it'd be pretty good non stealth though. pretty straight forward with lots of cover.

ChewySmokey
07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
short if you play it on casual guns blazing

MarkcusD
07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm in for some late night horde.

Graphlin
07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I haven't played Gears w/ AGErs in a while b/c I didn't want to fork out 1600 pts for the maps but this looks worth it. Added to my DL Q. Look for me tonight and shoot me an invite. I'm up for Horde or MP. Be fun to play w/ AGErs again!

Simbacca
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll probably be getting the DLC today.

jigsawhc
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I'll be ona after the Red Factio Guerrilla Game Night

Booyabobby
07-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I may be available tonight for some horde if anyone interested. I like to get the horde cheevos out of the way.

outboundchef
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
i will be hosting a all dark corners room around 8:30PM EST tonight, hope to see ya there... i think my connection has healed....

IceLion
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Those who have not purchased any DLC will want the "All Fronts" pack.

I am in.... maps downloading now, beer bought and chillin...

Bourbon
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
i think my connection has healed....

I'd like to have a dollar for every time I thought that about mine. Your ISP is probably populated by people who can read, though, so that's a plus for you.

Booyabobby
07-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Played Road to Ruins and some horde with PMH and VDub. First PMH &amp; I quickly ran thru the deleted scene on both stealth and gun blazing. On normal difficulty, you do finish quite fast but fun none the less. Then Vdub joined and we blasted thru some snowblind and Dark Corner maps for easy cheevos. I needed 2 of the snowblind map cheevos. Then did some horde on Highway. Great map for horde. Epic sure does want you to play ranked matches to get the horde cheevos. For example you have to get level 10 to get the horde cheevo for highway. Did gain some EXP on horde. So im now level 2. Better watch out. Be great if Epic will let us gain EXP on horde from now on or have seperate EXP for horde and rank matches.

Overall i think the DLC was worth the 1200 points.

Graphlin
07-29-2009, 04:15 AM
GG. Last night guys. Was great to play gears with AGErs again. Even of it meant getting my torso ripped from my legs on shorty duels. Look for me any night now that I have all the maps. I need to get my moneys worth.

bafroom
07-29-2009, 05:12 AM
i had a good time last night as well. glad to see all the old faces (and new ones!).

i'm pretty happy with this map pack, seems to be the best so far.

TazmanAK
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
GG. Last night guys. Was great to play gears with AGErs again. <span style="text-decoration: underline;">Even of it meant getting my torso ripped from my legs on shorty duels>. Look for me any night now that I have all the maps. I need to get my moneys worth.
<p style="CLEAR: both">
<p style="CLEAR: both">Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??

bafroom
07-29-2009, 07:57 AM
GG. Last night guys. Was great to play gears with AGErs again. <span style="text-decoration: underline;" mce_style="text-decoration: underline;">Even of it meant getting my torso ripped from my legs on shorty duels>. Look for me any night now that I have all the maps. I need to get my moneys worth.
<p style="clear: both;" mce_style="clear: both;">
<p style="clear: both;" mce_style="clear: both;">Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??

well, it's obvious that you didn't d/l the maps yet...

otherwise you would already know about the wrestling midgets (which are fucking awesome, btw).

Darth Waya
07-29-2009, 08:03 AM

otherwise you would already know about the wrestling midgets (which are fucking awesome, btw).

And the strippers....and the sex in the champagne room......

TazmanAK
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM

You know I wouldn't even be suprised if I came around the corner and saw Darth humping a locust. I'm sure he'd be using the yoda voice too...Ok getting a little too creepy even for me...

bafroom
07-29-2009, 08:19 AM

no matter what a stripper tells you, there is no sex in the champagne room

Graphlin
07-29-2009, 08:36 AM
GG. Last night guys. Was great to play gears with AGErs again. <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Even of it meant getting my torso ripped from my legs on shorty duels>. Look for me any night now that I have all the maps. I need to get my moneys worth.
<p style="clear:both;">
<p style="clear:both;">Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??

Obviously. They run around and take shots at your crotch. It's part of the new environmental hazard addon. When opposing shorties encounter each other it results in the opposing sides stopping and observing the hilarity that ensues.

AJ in HD
07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
GG. Last night guys. Was great to play gears with AGErs again. <span style="text-decoration: underline;">Even of it meant getting my torso ripped from my legs on shorty duels>. Look for me any night now that I have all the maps. I need to get my moneys worth.
<p style="clear: both;">
<p style="clear: both;">Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??

Obviously. They run around and take shots at your crotch. It's part of the new environmental hazard addon. When opposing shorties encounter each other it results in the opposing sides stopping and observing the hilarity that ensues.

shooting someone in the dick is not cool. It just isn't!

I had a GREAT time in Cheffy's room last night! Man, my connection to him was damn near perfect! I vote for cheffy to host wingman!! The new maps are fucking awesome! We tried a bare knuckle Wingman on one of the maps (the Ruin looking one) and it was a freakin' BLAST!!! Lots of fun! I am now 100% sure the Wingman tourney is going to be AWESOME!!!

Graphlin
07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
GG. Last night guys. Was great to play gears with AGErs again. <SPAN style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Even of it meant getting my torso ripped from my legs on shorty duels</SPAN>. Look for me any night now that I have all the maps. I need to get my moneys worth.
<P style="CLEAR: both">
<P style="CLEAR: both">Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??
<DIV style="CLEAR: both"></DIV>

I had a GREAT time in Cheffy's room last night! Man, my connection to him was damn near perfect! I vote for cheffy to host wingman!! The new maps are fucking awesome! We tried a bare knuckle Wingman on one of the maps (the Ruin looking one) and it was a freakin' BLAST!!! Lots of fun! I am now 100% sure the Wingman tourney is going to be AWESOME!!!

I think the next update should give them the ability to bite your opponent and stay latched on. Now THAT would be funny!

AJ in HD
07-29-2009, 09:14 AM
<p style="clear: both;">
<p style="clear: both;">Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??

I think the next update should give them the ability to bite your opponent and stay latched on. Now THAT would be funny!

[ro][ro][ro]!!!!!!!!!

albyhouse
07-29-2009, 09:20 AM
That was fun, but I still don't know the maps at all. Seems like your into a fight almost immediately. ANyhow, good times.

digitaldemigod
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Be great if Epic will let us gain EXP on horde from now on or have seperate EXP for horde and rank matches.

I think it was the last title update that makes it so we get exp for horde mode, so you're good there. =)

I'd love to play some horde on these new maps. I also need the combusible achievement and I need levels 11-20 on a snowblind map (grindyard).

Graphlin
07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm always up for Horde too so shoot me an invite if you see me. I didn't have the last set of maps either so I'm up for playing in any and all maps for cheevos.

ChewySmokey
07-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Holy Cow Batman! Did they add midget wrestling duels??

/emoticons/72.gif/emoticons/72.gif/emoticons/72.gif!!!!!!!!!

You know, I heard when the Locusts capture you, they saw your dick off. You know, for kicks.

I think that Allfathers Garden will be a great map for the Wingman tourny as well.

btcs41
07-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Had a blast last night fellas. Thanks to cheffy for saving a spot for me. I especially liked the triple flank maps and the one where you spawned out of your opponents ass! Should be on in a few hours for another go round!

Graphlin
07-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Still enjoying these even though we got our asses handed to us by the GP last night. I still say it was bc of lag...........

Bourbon
07-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Still enjoying these even though we got our asses handed to us by the GP last night. <U>I still say it was bc of lag........... </U>

Of course it was. Idon't think there's a Gears player out there (including me) who has EVER been killed fairly. That just wouldn't be Gears.

WideNine
07-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Still enjoying these even though we got our asses handed to us by the GP last night. <span style="text-decoration: underline;">I still say it was bc of lag........... >

Of course it was. Idon't think there's a Gears player out there (including me) who has EVER been killed fairly. That just wouldn't be Gears.

Of course. Last night's GP encounter reminded me of another thing...why can't we simply choose the gametype we want to play with a particular play list? All we wanted was execution on the new maps. We ended up playing more warzone/annex/guardian compared to execution.

Graphlin
07-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Still enjoying these even though we got our asses handed to us by the GP last night. <SPAN style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">I still say it was bc of lag........... </SPAN>

Of course. Last night's GP encounter reminded me of another thing...why can't we simply choose the gametype we want to play with a particular play list? All we wanted was execution on the new maps. We ended up playing more warzone/annex/guardian compared to execution.

Thanks guys, I need the support group right now or I might snap my disc in half [:P] My apologies to my team for the colourful language. It's been months since I've played and I've never been a good loser, especially when my characters is doing the lag dance across the map.

AJ in HD
07-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Still enjoying these even though we got our asses handed to us by the GP last night. <span style="text-decoration: underline;">I still say it was bc of lag........... >

true, but somehow all my killz are legit! especially my trippa killz[sg][sg][sg]

DCFCFoxes
07-30-2009, 07:24 AM
After 2 nights of playing on the new maps, figured I'd give my $0.02 on the maps

Allfather Gardens - might be my least favorite. If I run into a dead end just out of spawn again, I might break a controller. I'll give it half a flank.

Highway - Not sure yet, there are a lot of power weapons on this map. 1 flank.

Memorial - I like it, there are two focal points with lots of flanking opportunties. 2 flanks

Nowhere - Nice, tight map (unless on Annex when the other team has the mulcher up high) Actually kinda difficult to flank on. 2 flanks

Sanctuary - this is a nice map, a super flank map according to chef. 3 flanks

War Machine - never one of my favorites from G1, but a nice update. 2 flanks

Way Station - don't like the layout, action flows OK. 1 flank

vcize
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I like the new maps as a whole, a couple of them are already some of my immediate favorites out of the 30 or so in the game.

Way Station, Nowhere, Memorial, and Sanctuary are all awesome and get 5 out of 5 badasses.

Highway is like Ruins, which I never liked. 1 douchie hairspike

Allfather's Garden has a nice ambience, but the layout of the map is fairly boring. 2 douchie harispikes.

War Machine is War Machine, but it doesn't work as well in Gears 2 with one weapon spawn clearly being much more powerful than the other (as opposed to Gears 1 where sniper/torque were pretty much equal) and with the lack of risk involved in rushing a power weapon nowadays in Gears 2 making it easy to get to that one weapon.

AJ in HD
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
lol...how many flanks are possible? Is two the max and thereby adding more weight to Chef's super flank nomenclature? or does chef's flank go to 3 instead of the normal 2 flanks? Or is chef the Nigel Tufnel of Gears and his flanks go to 3? lol

AJ in HD
07-30-2009, 07:33 AM
War Machine is War Machine, but it doesn't work as well in Gears 2 with one weapon spawn clearly being much more powerful than the other (as opposed to Gears 1 where sniper/torque were pretty much equal) and with the lack of risk involved in rushing a power weapon nowadays in Gears 2 making it easy to get to that one weapon.

i disagree. Yes now the boom/torque spawn is a major point of contention, but now that they moved the grenades closer in the line to the boom it's not an all out rush to boom. Well you can rush if you like but good chance of getting blown to bits by 'nades. I picked up nades quite a few times my two plays on that map and was able to neutralize boom contention. The snipe is less effective on this map and I'm not sure how effective the mulcher is...other than potentially being the sniper's best target.

This map still sorta boils down to good shotty battles. [y]

bafroom
07-30-2009, 08:58 AM
i do really like most/all of these maps. however, my initial favorite, sanctuary, has fallen off some. it has the same problem as war machine...when that boom is up in the cycle, not going to it is a huge mistake. no matter how badly you may want to go a different way, losing that weapon is like giving up the round. that being said, i think that some custom swaps would do well to balance out some of the maps.

i love the boom, don't get me wrong (works fine on allfathers) but i don't like when it's existence completely determines the outcome of the map. just my opinion.

AJ in HD
07-30-2009, 09:13 AM
the boom is a dangerous weapon to leave alone and definitely cannot be ignored.

like da froom says, coming up with some good swaps for these maps will make them much more fun than they are.

MLG fools come up with swaps...maybe we could come up with a set of standard swaps that cater to a diverse play style. Not everybody likes charging boom, but not fighting for it is also a mistake. Adding good counter weapons spawns will definitely help.

bafroom
07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
i think nowhere is my overall favorite, right now...with highway being probably my least favorite.

we should start a thread discussing possible swaps, or maybe just do it in here.

so, for sanctuary, swap out the boom entirely, or swap in some other weapons to try to balance?

DCFCFoxes
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
so, for sanctuary, swap out the boom entirely, or swap in some other weapons to try to balance?

I think you could keep the boom if you swap a longe range weapon (snipe/torque) for mortar. Or, swap the boom and mortars. That way both teams would have booms, but that is alot of boom.

AJ in HD
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
i don't know the maps well enough to make suggestions at this point. But i think playing a few rounds on these maps and making on the fly tweaks would be fun.

Graphlin
07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm taking the day off tomorrow so I'm up for some late night Gears action.

ChewySmokey
07-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm taking the day off tomorrow so I'm up for some late night Gears action.
I have the day off tomorrowanyway, I'll probably be online all day...unless something comes up.